Monday 23 February 2015

Savoury Muffin Recipe

Last week I mentioned my love of kitchen gadgets. This extends from things like strawberry hullers through to gadgets like the Thermomix. I've been to several demos and I drool over a friend's machine everytime I visit. I even borrowed one for a week and loved every second of it. Unfortunately $2000 for a kitchen machine simply isn't in my budget at the moment, no matter how much I love it. Lucky for me I got given the next best thing for my birthday this year! A Kogan Thermoblend. There are several key differences from the Thermomix, including being belt driven, not having a reverse function and lacking in built scales. All that aside I love this machine. It is perfect until that mythical day when I can afford the real deal. Now like all members of the family she needed a name. Many of my possessions have names. My car is called Luna, my sewing machine is Betty. After much deliberation I settled on Dorris for the Thermoblend. So I would like to officially welcome Dorris to the family!



This week I decided to make some savoury muffins to use up leftovers from the fridge. I love muffins. Savoury, sweet it doesn't matter. Savoury muffins are a fabulous way to use up leftovers and create a healthy snack that you can eat on the go. I couldn't find my usual recipe and I wanted to try out Dorris so I decided to trial my own recipe. The great thing about this recipe is that you can mix it up by using the base batter, which stays the same, and add whatever extra ingredients you want or have on hand. These are great warm with a little butter. Delicious!


Savoury Muffins



Ingredients
Batter
2 cups SR flour (I used wholemeal)
1 tsp baking powder
2 eggs
3/4 cup milk
125g butter
1 tsp salt
pepper to taste

Extras
200g cheese
1/2 red onion
handful sundried tomatoes
thyme

Method

Pre-heat oven to 180°C. Grease or line 12 whole muffin pan.
Place cubed cheese into bowl. Grate on for 30 seconds on speed 6. Set aside.
Place onion in bowl. Process for 10 seconds on speed 6. Set aside.
Place butter in bowl. Melt for 2 minutes on speed 4 at 60°C.
Add the rest of batter ingredients. Mix for 30 seconds on speed 6.
Scrape down sides of bowl.
Add cheese, onion, sundried tomato and thyme. Mix for 5 seconds on speed 5.
Give a quick mix with spatula to ensure extras are evenly mixed.
Spoon, evenly, into muffin pan.
Bake for 20 to 25 minutes until golden and skewer inserted comes out clean.

n.b. This recipe is for use in a thermo-style appliance. You could simply grate, chop, melt and mix the ingredients by hand.




My muffins simply used leftovers I had in the fridge. I think they would be super tasty with creamed corn, cheese and ham. Or maybe just a vege muffin with zucchini, carrot, mushrooms, peas, corn or anything really!

Thanks for stopping by. If you try out the recipe please let me know what you think and I would love to hear what ingredient combination you try!
Xxx



No comments:

Post a Comment