Monday 7 September 2015

Deluxe Hot Dogs

Hot dogs are without a doubt one of my favourite foods. I know, I know, mystery meat, preservatives, calories, carbs but do you know what? I just don't care. I love them!



My dad is also a hot dog lover, and while I don't think he shares my level of devotion, I know he enjoys a good hot dog, particularly with all the trimmings. So I figured for a treat this Father's Day I would up my hot dog game and cook up some deluxe hot dogs, combining some of the best foods (in my opinion) with hot dogs, cheese, bacon, onion and of course tomato sauce.



While they may not look like stunners, these fancy suckers are super delicious, super decedent, super impressive, and I'll let you in on a little secret, super easy!

This weeks hints & tips:
* I cooked my hot dogs in the oven but you could just as easily cook them on the bbq or in a fry pan.
* You can add any of your favourite hot dog toppings to these deluxe dogs. I add onion, avocado and spicy red tomato sauce. My Dad added onion, mustard and spicy red tomato sauce to his. It's all up to you!
* Make sure you get the skinless hot dogs (known as American style or Footy franks), they are generally available pre-packaged in the fridge aisle of the supermarket.
* If you are an extreme bacon lover, you could finely dice the left over bacon and fry it off to add as a garnish to your deluxe dogs.

Deluxe Hot Dogs


Serves: 6
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes

Ingredients
Hot dogs
6 skinless hot dogs
6 bacon rashers
Cheese Sauce
25g butter
1 tablespoon plain flour
1.5 cups milk
2 cups grated cheese
25g grated parmesan cheese

6 bread rolls
any extras you choose

Method
Preheat oven to 190°C.
Trim the bacon rashers, removing the short cut and the rind so you are left with just the tail.
Wrap the tail around the hot dogs, securing with a tooth pick at either end.
Place hot dogs in the oven for 20 minutes.
Meanwhile, melt butter in a medium saucepan.
Once the butter has melted, stir in the flour and cook off for a couple of minutes.
Slowly add milk, whisking constantly.
Bring your sauce mixture to a simmer, stirring regularly.
Simmer for 5 minutes, stirring regularly, until it has thickened.
Stir in all the cheese until melted and season to taste.
Let sauce cool slightly, stirring regularly.
Once the hot dogs have finished, go crazy! Place your hot dog in a bun and top with cheese sauce and all your favourite toppings!

No comments:

Post a Comment