Sunday 30 August 2015

Chocolate Tart



I have mentioned before that I am generally more of a savoury food type of person. Give me a plate of cheese, biscuits and chips any day! Ironically, however, I find myself creating more sweets recipes than savoury and getting more enjoyment from cooking sweets. The only problem is that I will often eat one, small, portion of what I have cooked and am left with nearly a whole dessert.



This comes in very handy when we are having guests though. Last night was one of those nights. We were having some family and friends over for homemade pizzas (my Dad's specialty) so dinner was sorted. While browsing through my sweets recipes for dessert I had the urge to make a chocolate tart. Always a winner in my books! And it is super, super simple but looks impressive (again a win if you ask me).



Well the night was a success and both the pizzas and the tart were a big hit. So I thought I would share the recipe with you.



This weeks hints/tips:
* You can use frozen shortcrust pastry or even a pre-made pastry shell. I have gotten my shortcrust down pat these days so I don't bother but I know that some people find pastry intimidating.
* I used a food processor to make my pastry but it is simple to make by hand.
* Make sure you use decent chocolate, not home-brand! I use Nestle chocolate melts.
* This would be lovely made with dark chocolate as well.
* A little salt added to the ganache filling would cut through some of the sweetness and really make the chocolate sing.
* I used fresh raspberries to serve with the tart, but any berries, fresh or froze, would work wonderfully.
Enjoy xxx




Chocolate Tart



Servings: 16
Prep time: 15 minutes
Baking time: 30 minutes
Total time: 3 hours

Ingredients
Pastry
200g plain flour
Pinch of salt
100g chilled butter, cubed
50-60g ice cold water
Ganache Filling
500g milk chocolate
300g thickened cream
Optional
Cream or ice cream, to serve
Berries, to serve

Method
Place flour, salt and butter in food processor. Mix for 10 seconds on med-high.
Add water and mix for a further 5-6 seconds on medium high or until it forms a rough dough.
Knead lightly on a floured surface, wrap in glad wrap and place in fridge for 30 minutes.
Pre heat oven to 180ºC.
Once the dough has rested, roll it out on a lightly floured surface. Then place it in a greased pie dish or tart tan and prick the base with a fork.
Gently place baking paper inside the case and fill with blind baking beans or uncooked rice.
Cook in oven for 15 minutes. Remove beans or rice and baking paper and bake for a further 15 minutes.
Remove tart case from the oven and allow to cool for about 30 minutes.
Meanwhile, place chocolate and cream in a microwave safe bowl.
Microwave on high for 60 seconds. Stir chocolate and cream until the chocolate is melted and they are well combined. If necessary, microwave ganache for a further 30 seconds.
Allow ganache to cool slightly.
Pour ganache into the tart case and place the tart in the oven to set (I like to let it set for at least 2 hours).
Serve with cream or ice cream and berries.

No comments:

Post a Comment