Wednesday 18 March 2015

Nan's Pavlova Roll with Mixed Berries and Pistachio

Ahhhh what is that saying about life and the best laid plans? Let's just say that despite my meal planning, shopping and excitement about my list of new recipes to try, I am yet to try one. Thanks to Aunty duties (which I love), gastro, a busy weekend and now a lovely (note the sarcasm) cold. I did manage to sneak in a dessert to use up some leftover egg whites though.


 One of my Dad's favourite desserts is pavlova. I recently made my first ever pavlova and was quite surprised by my success. I wanted to try something slightly different this time though and my Nan makes a fantastic variation with her pavlova roll. Thanks to my 'best laid plans' I had a variety of berries in the fridge begging to be eaten, so all I needed was some cream and I decided to spice it up with some pistachios. This is a super easy recipe, which takes very little time to prepare, only 15 minutes to cook and then a little while to cool, roll and decorate. And it is delicious!


My couple of tips or words of warning. I overwhipped my meringue, there was about 20 seconds between not whipped enough and over, I was doing it in Doris my thermoblend though which I haven't mastered yet. Luckily it still worked well, but just be careful. Also while you need to roll the pavlova while it is still slightly warm make sure you give it some time to cool or you will melt the cream. After rolling I placed it in the fridge for about 15 minutes before I decorated the outside. Finally the sky is the limit with your filling and topping. I used berries because that is what I had and I love berries but anything that you would top a traditional pavlova would work. My family love peppermint crisp with pavlova and I think that would be awesome with this variation!


Well, with out further ado unto the recipe! Enjoy! And please let me know if you try it out.

Nan's Pavlova Roll with Mixed Berries and Pistachio



Ingredients
6 egg whites
1 1/2 cups caster sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste
1 teaspoon white vinegar
2 cups fresh mixed berries
A handful of crushed pistachio nuts
500ml whipped cream

Method
Line a tray with gease proof paper.
Preheat oven to 170°C.
Beat egg whites until firm peaks form.
Add sugar, one tablespoon at a time, beating until dissolved.
Blend in vinegar and vanilla.
Spread meringue evenly into pan.
Cook in oven for 12-15 minutes.

Assembly

While pavlova is in the oven, whip the cream, chop up the berries and crush the pistachio nuts.
Remove pavlova from oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes.
Once slightly cooled spread 1/3 of the cream onto pavlova. Place 1/2 the berries down the centre of the pavlova (length ways).
Roll the pavlova, so that the berries run down the centre of the roll.
Place pavlova roll on plate and refrigerate for 15 - 30 minutes.
Once completely cool cover the pavlova roll with remaining cream and top with remaining berries and the pistachio.











No comments:

Post a Comment